Sunday, November 06, 2005

I have another story for you

Did you ever have a sequence of events happen that leads to something that if one of those events hadn’t happened, everything would have turned out completely different?

Sure you have, we all have.

Do you think these things were just a series of coincidences, or do you believe they happened because that something was meant to be? You know fate or destiny? Before you answer, let me tell you a story and then I’ll ask you again.

Last week I got a letter from our church letting me know that they were celebrating All Saints Day and that during the service they remember the church members that have passed away during the last year, Barbara being one of them. I kept changing my mind about going all week, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a good idea. Even though it would make me sad, I thought it would be a good way to honor Barbara and to let her know I’m thinking about her. Brian couldn’t come because he had to be at work a 4:00.

It was a really nice service. The pastor was excellent as usual, and we received Communion. I like that. I even got a little misty-eyed a few times, which I knew would happen. After the service, I hung around for a while to talk to some people I know. They asked me to go to dinner with them, but I didn’t accept the invitation. It would have been nice to chat some more, but I don’t know, I just decided not to go.

The first place I tried for dinner was packed. I decided not to keep trying other places because it was getting late and I was hungry, but to go to a little southern place near me called Sweet Magnolias. It’s never very crowded so I knew I could get a seat. I got a seat at the end of the bar nearer to door. It has really good food so I don’t know why it’s never crowded. I had trout stuffed with breading, shrimp and crayfish; it came with rice and steamed broccoli. Yummy! Did I tell you I like seafood?

Just when I was finished eating, the staff started removing some tables right by me, next to the bar. I knew what that meant, live music. I looked at the chalkboard and saw that some band named ‘Jack’s Waterfall’ was playing. A short time later, I saw the band start carrying in their equipment so I decided to stick around for a little while. I’d never heard of them, but I had a perfect seat, so figured why not stay for a few minutes, have another beer and see if they were any good.

About 45 minutes later, 9:30 or so, the palace is packed, which is always a good sign if you’re looking for good music. They started playing and are excellent! They played all kinds of different stuff; Pop, Blues, Jazz, Folk, Bluegrass, Gospel and even some African music. I really enjoyed it. They did a great rendition of ‘Sweet Georgia Brown’. Now one set turned into two and then two turned into three. I enjoyed it so much I closed the joint. I had a great time. I even bought their CD, it’s called “Calling All Angels”.

I got home and put the CD on. Here is the list of the songs on the CD; Vision, The Hero, The Sweetest Music, Spirit Voices, Believe, Song of Hope, Vuelve, I Am No Prisoner and Calling All Angels. It was very enjoyable, so much so that I put the CD on repeat, turned out the lights and sat back in a large comfortable chair I have and fell asleep after it had played through twice. I woke up when Brian got in and went to bed.

This morning I’m curious to learn something about the group, so look I them up on Google. It seems that Jack Licitra got into music many years ago as a way to help him deal with his father’s death. “The loss of his father at the age of 14 played a major a role in that. Writing songs to help his family through these tough times, Jack began to realize the healing power of music at a young age. It has always been natural for him to express through song and voice some of his deepest emotions in a creative and refined manner. He believes "Music or any of the arts are universal. A shared experience or communication that brings people closer together. It gets them in touch with things they were feeling, but never actually tried to express."

He took the name Jack’s Waterfall “… to reflect a vision of an ever-changing ensemble that would enable me to pursue a variety of creative forms. ...music has transformative qualities – it can facilitate healing, promote unity and certainly express powerful feelings. In my own life it has helped me deal with loss and the passage of time. I believe that the magic of art is its ability to transform the everyday into something greater, something universal, something shared.”

Interesting, huh?

You know, I’m very glad I went there last night because that could be a turning point for me right now. I loved the feelings I got listening to their music. I didn’t talk to anyone really, so to me, it was all about the music. Next week they are playing a charity thing a few towns over at the Brickhouse Brewery. I think I’m going to go. What’s not to like? Great music that makes me feel good and fresh brewed beer.

Okay, let's examine what happened.
1. I went to church even though I hadn't been in 4 or 5 years and I knew it would make me sad. I'm tired of being sad.
2. I got delayed leaving because I was talking to friends.
3. Didn't go with them to dinner, even though I would have liked to.
4. Where I wanted to go for dinner had no room.
5. I decided to skip other places I would have preferred to go, to go to Sweet Magnolias.
6. I got a good seat at the end of the bar where I could see what was going on, i.e., tables being moved, band setting up, etc.
7. ‘Jack’s Waterfall’ was playing and I buy their CD with some very relevant music. You'd know exactly what I was talking about if you heard the words. The titles make the point though.

Now, let me ask you. Was that just a series of coincidences or was that meant to be? I think it was meant to be. What do you think?


P.S.
I forgot a few things.
8. Three lovely young ladies, mid 30's I'd say, sat around the corner from me at the bar. They were just to the left of my view of the band.
9. The one that faced me had on a low cut top, showing a lot of cleavage. Did I ever tell you I like boobs?
10. Her friend that sat with her back to me, had on low rider jeans that kept "riding low" and revealing a pretty blue thong.
11. The barmaid also had on a low cut top so everytime she bent over to get a bottle of beer, the cleavage view was excellent.
12. I made it home safe and sound.

Just more reasons to drive my point home. ;-)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things happen for a reason. I truly believe this. Even with losing my 15year old daughter.... there was a reason.

I will never know it, you will never know it... but it happens.

I am SO glad you enjoyed yourself.

BTExpress said...

Malia, you are so right.


Heather, I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter.

I to think there is a reason for everything, but not being God, we will never know the reasons why things like these happen. What I do know, is the people we loose, would want us to carry on with our lives. It looks like last night was my first step in doing just that.

aughra said...

Sounds like everything went exactly as it should have.

Good for you, BTE.

Blonde said...

I am a pure believer in fate. Things have happened to me my whole life solely on strange occurances like yours. Mine didn't lead me to breasts and thong sightings, but to each his own ;).

Glad that you are well.

BTExpress said...

Thanks Blonde.

Anonymous said...

It has always been natural for him to express through song and voice some of his deepest emotions in a creative and refined manner.

The Darkness. Permission to Land.
Track 2.

Tact goes a long way.
Spanky loves you.

BTExpress said...

abc, I assume you mean Jack. It's the first time I've heard him and loved his music. I've been playing the CD I got last night and today I couldn't believe how appropriate the words were. It's almost like the whole CD was meant for me to hear at this time. Could you email me an expand on this a little, and tell me who is Spanky?

Hippie girl said...

I believe everything happens for a reason. I am so glag you had a good time. Keep it up (no pun intended) Life still has a lot in store for you.

Angela said...

I'm a huge believer that things happen for a reason. If you listen to your inner self deep deep inside it also guides you in the same direction. Of course I feel that deep inner self is God whispering. Some don't but I do. :) Sounds like a really good night for you BTE..Hope this is the beginning of the healing path for you.

BTExpress said...

kaliblue, I really believe it is the beginning for me. I also agree with you that it is God talking to you when you are trying to decide which way to go, or what to do. I also believe that since we have been given free will, we are free to choose our own path. Some take the right path and some the wrong. I believe God only dictates which path we follow when He needs it to be followed. Last night was one of those times I think He guided me. I wonder what He has in store for me next.

BTExpress said...

LOL, thanks Hippigirl. I believe my life had a mission when I came back after my out of body experience. I don't know what it, or was, but I do know I was sent back for some, or many, reasons. I know I'll never know what they are, but I'll take what life hands me and make the best of it.

PS
No pun intended? Are you sure?

Wenchy said...

What's not to love indeed.

So glad you had a good time.

BTExpress said...

I've made up my mind to go out to see them next Saturday, anyone want to come?