Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Remodeling Update

I guess you heard about the footing for the front wall of my house being rotten. Here's the before of the footing for the front wall of my house.


Here's a closer look.


Frank my contractor said that it wouldn't have been long before the front wall of the house would have broken through the rotted wood and dropped 7". Then I'd have been looking at BIG BUCKS to repiar the damage.

He repaired the footing first thing this morning. Here's what he had to build to hold up the floor of my house while he replaced the footing. But first I had to clear out that side of my basement so he could build the temporary wall. If you saw this video tour of my basement, you know that was easier said than done.


Then they removed the rotted wood in sections.


Then cut the wood to fit.


All done! I am the proud owner of 12" of pressure treated wood footing.


With an aluminum flashing to divert the rain water, just like they should have done in the beginning. You can see that the other contractor for the stoop went back to work.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now the continuation of my half bath saga.

Last night I picked up a medicine chest, light and storage cabinet for the half bath. When got home I measured the spacing for them and the toilet and sink. I discovered that the toilet and pedestal sink won't fit side by side. The half bath is only 4'x4', so there is no other layout possible.

This morning I explained the problem to the contractor. He verified the problem then said he could get the plumber in if I wanted, but it would be a lot of trouble, and money, to move the plumbing for the sink and toilet and I'd still be very closed to the sink when I sat on the toilet. Even if I tried a smaller pedestal sink, moving the plumbing would still be required.

So I decided to go back out this morning and search for a small vanity in black. I went right out looking for a 18" to 22" black vanity. I looked everywhere I could think of, but no luck. Either they were too wide or not in black. I even checked a cabinet store, but they would take 4-6 weeks and the vanity wouldn't be black. When I got back to the house, I told Frank I couldn't find anything, expecting him to tell me I had to move the plumbing. But he had one more idea.

He told me to check on line or in the phone book for custom cabinet makers. He said an 18" vanity is very common and white, black and brown are very popular. I called around and found someone that would make one. He'll make a 18" vanity to look like the medicine chest painted black for about $400. But he will take at least two weeks. So he called a friend of his and his friend can do it sooner. His friend called but I was out. I returned his call and left a message. He just called me back and will come here late tonight so we can discuss what I want.

Today they put up the dry wall in the half bath and first coating of spackle. They'll be back tomorrow to do another coat and do the floor tile. They should be done with the half bath on Friday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back too the stoop.

The contractor is still here working on rebuilding the stoop and will be here until about 7:00 PM. They should be done by Friday too.



Frank is planning to start on the master bath on Monday. I'll give you the update on that tomorrow.

3 comments:

GAB said...

wow all that work done at the same time? You are couragous

BTExpress said...

I'm not sure that courageous is the right word. Maybe crazy fits better. ;-)

lime said...

frank sounds like he is worth his weight in gold.