Sunday, January 29, 2006

50th Birthday Party Last Night

Arlene and I went to the 50th birthday party of one of her co-workers last night at their Temple. We were looking forward to it because Tony, the birthday boy, told her there would be music, food and a bar. Great we thought, 50th birthday parties are always a lot of fun right? We weren't going to know anyone except Tony, so we were going to treat it like a night out on a date.

Katy, a young lady that Arlene works with, and her good friend, came along so we enjoyed talking among ourselves while everyone arrived. We had a drink and when the food was ready, we ate some of that and had a couple of more drinks. The drinks and food turned out to be pretty good. They had a lot of different appetizers which is always fine with me.

The music consisted of a CD player on the floor playing Frank Sinatra tunes, so dancing was out of the question. Everyone sat around 6 or 8 large round tables and almost never moved from their seats. Katy left after about an hour, so Arlene and I chatted and counted the minutes until we could get out of there and go dancing somewhere else.

That was pretty much the highlight of the party. Well, there were these two ladies at our table from the temple that I thought were going to start mixing it up, but no luck. They just got catty and made snide remarks to each other all night.

A little before 10:00, we managed to leave. On the way out, Tony's wife handed each of us a goodie bag. How cool is that? We wondered what cool things they put in 50th birthday goodie bags. I was driving so Arlene checked out the goodie bag. The contents matched the mood of the party to a tee. It contained a few pieces of candy and a yo yo. Yes, that's what I said, candy and a yo yo. WTF was that all about? The frigging yo yo wasn't even a Duncan.

I drove over to the bar & grill near her we have been going to. They usually have music Saturday nights, but not last night. They were hosting a party instead. It just didn't seem like it was going to be our night, but as usual, we enjoy each other's company so we still had a good time. Later that evening, the young woman that lives across the street from Arlene, and the woman's sister, came in. The four of us had a good time talking until the bar closed around 1:30.

After I took Arlene home, I stopped at McDonald's on for an early breakfast of cheese burgers, fries and a diet coke. I had a 25 minute ride ahead of me on the highway, so I just set the cruise control for 62mph, listened to some oldies and enjoyed my breakfast.

Everyone was passing me of course, but I was in no hurry. I had a good time and just wanted to enjoy the ride and going back over the night in my mind.

I saw two people zoom by me at a high rate of speed, which, of course, very quickly by flashing lights and pulled over. That gave me a good laugh.

14 comments:

BTExpress said...

Sassyladi - I forgot about that. I'll edit the post to add it.

Cyber Erotic - People can get so lame as they get older, but I won't ever be one of them. Thanks for the nice comment.

The Guy in the Back said...

It's not always a bad night if the band sucks. That just makes you work harder at the too-often-overlooked art of conversation. Sounds like you and Arlene managed just fine. Great to see you out and about and enjoying each other so well.

lime said...

that is by far the oddest sounding birthday party. i can tell ya this, my family has way better parties for 80 yr olds!

bunch of rowdy 70 and 80 yr old aunts flirting with the live band. standing on stage making more than slightly suggestive motions to 'i've got a lovely bunchof coconuts.' crazy singing and dancing and lots of laughs.

i'm telling ya, that's the way to get old!

anyway, glad you and arlene slavaged the night after all.

Barbara said...

OK BTE, you need to come to a few of my parties and I will stay far away from the ones your currently getting invited too...kidding. At least you had good company which can make a crappy situation much better.
The Yo-Yo was not even a Duncan...?That is really sad.

Monalicious said...

So glad you and Arlene are able to have such an awesome time together, but seriously...not a real Duncan???

BTExpress said...

The Guy in the Back - Thanks. We never seem to be at a loss for words.

Marge! I can't get over the change in you. I'm so excited.

Lime - You better believe if I make it to 80, I'll be doing the same thing your aunts are doing, except my hand gestures will be more boobie related I'm sure.

Trojan - No, not even a Duncan. I plan on a field trip to Texas, like I told you, so I just may get to go to one of your parties. ;-)

Mona - Thanks. No Duncan...... :-(

Danielle said...

I love when those annoying zooming people get pulled over.

BTExpress said...

Danielle - There were practically no cars on the road and those zooming cars were very noticeable. What did they expect?

Remember, cruise control and 24 hour McDonald's are your friend that late at night.

BTExpress said...

We had to and did have a good time.

CozyMama said...

glad you had a good time. I was wondering if you were ok....I never did see that post you were talking about. :)

Wenchy said...

LOL, I will remember that... NO yo-yo for the 50th....

Anonymous said...

The subject of me helping to open a place to have parties came up again this weekend. There isn't much to choose from in this little town, so we either have to have them at our homes or drive to another city. I would SO love to help put on parties for people, as I love gathering up as much stuff as I possibly can for each theme, etc. Just need to win the lotto, so I can start my own business!

BTExpress said...

Wenchy - Unless it is a real Duncan yo yo that is

No One - Aren't there any VFW halls or anything like that you could rent out?

Anonymous said...

I think all we have here is the Mason's Lodge & I went in there to vote. Not much room for partying in that lil place!