Friday, December 21, 2007

I'm so excited!

I just received an email from someone I tried to contact two years ago. How cool is that?

On December 13, 2005, I posted this story about being ambushed in Vietnam while we were on patrol. This wasn't the story about the ambush when I was wounded, but the one where my platoon sergeant, Sergeant Cox was wounded. Unfortunately Sergeant Cox died from those wounds later that day.

As I mentioned in the story, I'd found Sergeant Cox's name on the Vietnam Memorial web site and in turn, I found a note from the daughter of one of his best friends back home in Queens.

Paula Miller
pamille5@vt.edu
Daughter of good friend
65 Blossom Hill Road
Lebanon, NJ 08833 USA
Jimmy Cox was a good friend of my father's in New York. I know little about him, but I do have the honor of holding his army green jacket with his name on it. I say I know little about him but I feel the impact of his tragically short life on my father. My father is not an emotional man, and I have never seen him cry about anything save Jimmy. I can see through my father's eyes and the tears, how wonderful this young man must have been. To Jimmy and my dad, thank you, I love you.
Peaches

I sent her an email soon after I read this message, but I didn't hear back from until today. That was over two years ago!

Hi Tony
I left a note on the Vietnam Memorial Names website quite a while back. I left my college e-mail address on the site, and since then, that e-mail address has been closed. Through some random family internet browsing, my mom came across my message on James (Jimmy) Cox's name, and your blog responding to it. I know my father would appreciate your stories, especially about Jimmy . My parents still send his mother a Christmas card every year. Thank you for who you are and for your service to our great country. I hope this note finds you well, and I wish you and your family and friends a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!
Warm Regards
Paula Miller

I replied to her email letting her know that I am available to talk to whomever would like to chat. I'll let you know how this works out.

Did I mention that I'm excited? :-)

11 comments:

SignGurl said...

Tony, that is so awesome!! This is just another example of how awesome the internet is.

Libby said...

this has to be one of the greatest feelings in the world, tony, to get in touch with her finally!!

lime said...

that's wonderful. isn't this internet just an amzaing thing how it allows us to make connections?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing! and made me feel all goose bumpy. im happy for you that is simply great!

TUG said...

That's very cool! Merry Christmas :)

Kittie Kate said...

I wish I knew someone who knew my Daddy. he was in Vietnam. He was a Marine. He died shortly after coming back on an oil rig.

jillie said...

How cool is THAT! Awesome and just like Jenn said, the internet is good for somethings

;o)

Anonymous said...

How wonderful... and even more fitting that it happened during Christmas time.

Wishing you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

PS: I have never heard of Elyse Sewell, but that doesn't say much. I am not very plugged into these things.

barman said...

Tony that is wonderful. I know not only will you love talking all about it but they will love to hear from you. I am so happy it worked out.

Merry Christmas to you Tony.

GAB said...

That is so cool Tony. You are the greatest!

Monogram Queen said...

That is so very cool Tony!