Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Yes, There Really is a Santa Claus

Last year about this time, I saw a post on the political forum I help moderate, from a woman that calls herself Superchick. Superchick was all down about something and was considering telling her little girl that there was no Santa Claus. I saw her comment and wanted so much for her not to spoil it for her daughter so I wrote her this.


Superchick – “I am actually thinking about telling my daughter there is no such thing as Santa.”


BTExpress - Please don't tell your daughter that you believe there is no Santa. Let me tell you a story.

I stopped believing in Santa on Christmas Eve when I was 9 years. My big brother used to tease me non-stop pretty much my entire life. He would stand up for me when bigger kids picked on me, so I knew he loved me, but he just kept at me all the time. The years I turned nine, Rod kept telling me how Santa Claus didn’t exist and that our mom and dad were really the ones that gave us presents. He kept it up but I wouldn’t believe him.

Sometime during the night on Christmas Eve, my brother woke me up and cracked open the door of our bedroom to show me my parents carrying the Christmas presents in from outside. I was devastated and ran back to bed and cried and cried. He just laughed. That was about the saddest moment of my life up to that point. My mother and father heard the noise and came into our room to find out what was wrong. I told them what had happened and what I saw. My mom told me that they were just helping Santa carrying the presents, but I didn't believe her and just cried. They did their best to calm me down but finally decided to let us open our presents and see if that would do it. They woke up my little sister too, but before they did, my father threatened my big brother with the death if he even hinted to my little sister at what happened. She was five at the time.

I don't really remember much else about that Christmas or what I got that year, I just remember the feeling when I found out there was no Santa. I’ve pretty much forgotten that story until I read your post just now. BTW, that was the beginning of us opening our gifts on Christmas Eve every year after that

Then when I was about 15 or 16, my belief in the jolly old man came back once again. It was sometime during early December when I first saw my father come down from upstairs dressed up in a Santa Claus costume. I thought he looked kind of silly, as most know-it-all 16-year-olds do and laughed a little at the way he looked in that silly costume. But he really did look just like I would have pictured Santa Claus to look. He had white hair and was about the same size as Santa too.

My stepmother told me that a few years earlier, my father started going around to the neighbor’s houses ringing some sleigh bells they had and yelling “Ho, Ho, Ho!” The little kids, and there were a lot of them in the neighborhood, actually thought they heard Santa. He got such a kick out of doing it, that one year he bought a cheap costume and would go around visiting the kids and handing out candy canes. Then that grew into visiting a lot of other places each year so bought the most realistic Santa costume he could afford and even grew a beard for the season. Since he had white hair, it looked great.

That first night I saw him, he was on his way to the nursing home my stepmother worked at to visit people that lived there. My stepmother said it cheered everyone up so much. He would walk from room to room ringing these sleigh bells so they knew he was coming. They always got so excited, just like little kids my stepmother said. Some days he would take off from work (without pay no less) and play Santa at a couple of neighborhood elementary schools and go around to the classes handing out candy canes.

But his biggest thrill was always the nights he visited the children. One night my stepmother and “Santa” go out to visit the kids of their friends. They pull up a couple of doors down from this house and Santa gets out, my stepmom stays in the car. He walks up to the house, rings the sleigh bells and yells out his best “Ho, ho, ho”. The people come to the door and let him in. He stayed for a little while and gets back in the car. My stepmother asks him if he knew those people? Why he asked? She tells him because he went to the wrong house; their friends lived a little farther down the block? He cracks up and tells her he thought something was strange because he didn’t recognize anyone, but said everyone was so happy to see him so he stayed. He told her the kids were thrilled and screamed with excitement when he came in and the adults in the house even got excited, so he did his usual thing. They both laughed as they drove away thinking how strange it must have seemed to have Santa show up at their door. I’ll bet you’ll never convince those folks in that house there is no Santa.

Every year my father would go into his bedroom and next thing you know, out came Santa Claus. Santa would make the rounds to the usual places and each year there would be new kids to see. Every night during the Christmas season after Santa finish his rounds, he’d come back to our house and go into my parent’s bedroom. Then a few minutes later, my father would come out. This went on every year, even after he moved to Florida.

So Superchick, please don’t tell your daughter there is no Santa, because there really is a Santa. He lived in the heart of my father during those years and in the hearts of so many more. The generosity and kindness we feel during the holiday season represent him. Just like it says in the old editorial by Francis P. Church…

“Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.”

Merry Christmas

13 comments:

Cathy said...

THank you for sharing that wonderful story.

BTExpress said...

I'm glad you liked it.

MG said...

That's probably the sweetest explanation of why to keep believing in Santa Claus that I've ever heard, and this coming from an "unbeliever".... ;)

BTExpress said...

So Mg, are you a believer now?

Roxi - HO! HO! HO! :-)

Chickie said...

Loved the story.

Samantha Alice said...

'Honor Christmas in your heart and keep it all year long.' I have no idea where that comes from, but I've always liked it...

This is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing that joy. I hope you are having a good holiday season.

BTExpress said...

Thanks Jacqueline, yep, it's how you look at it.

Thanks Samantha Alice. I told my son yesterday I don't want to put up the tree this year, but he does, so I don't know what I'm going to do.

Thank you too The_Mrs; When my son was young and he told me a lot of his friends didn't believe in Santa anymore and he started questioning the existence of Santa, I told him that once we stopped believing in him, Santa wouldn't come to our house anymore. The only presents we would get would be from each other. He didn't want to risk it so he kept him believing a while longer.

MG said...

I believe in YOU, my friend ;)

Unknown said...

That was very well-written! I only wish you had a picture of your dad as Santa. ;)

For what it's worth, I think you should put up the tree.

Summer said...

Wonderful story! My parents never actually said to us that there wasn't a Santa. We just eventually figured it out on our own. I'm glad that it happened like it did for us.

Megan said...

Oh, thank you so much for that story. I don't remember ever believing in Santa. My brother told me the "truth" when I was three, and I have no memories before that. I've been waffling about what to tell my son, but for the first time, I think I might be beginning to believe in Santa. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

BT, That is a great story. Your dad sounds like a great guy with a huge heart. I originally wanted to use the Church editorial in the story about St. Nick but my editor thought that no one would know what it referred to. The times they are a changin I suppose. Oh and Samantha Alice, I believe that quote is from Charles Dickens' " A Christmas Carol." For the whole scoop on the origin of Santa Claus, drop by the Darkside and Merry Christmas to all.

Siren said...

Thanks for a very sweet story. It reminds me of how my parents handled the whole Santa thing.

There were four of us kids. As each of us got old enough to question whether there was a Santa Clause, my mom & dad would let us in on a little secret. "We're Santa," they woudl say. And before you could get all upset, they said, "and now you're Santa, too." What?!?! "Yep. Now you're Santa too. You get to help us make Christmas." So we did - the older kids helped wrap presents for the younger ones, helped stage the whole Christmas morining surprise, helped keep the secret of Santa. We just transitioned from believing a 300 lb man climbed down our chimney to acting like Santa ourselves. Which is the whole point, really, because I'd like to think that we're all Santa.