Saturday, December 24, 2005

I bought presents after all

Well, just for Brian, but that counts. (Screw everyone else!)

Last night my son Brian and his girl friend walk in the house, shopping bags a'rustling and tell me to close my eyes. I closed them and he dashed past me sitting at the computer in the den, into his room at the end of the hall. My first thought was, "How nice, he bought something for Christmas." My second thought was "Shit! Now I have to go out tomorrow and buy him something. WTF am I going buy him?" Now don't jump to conclusions that I wasn't going to buy my son anything for Christmas, because that's far from the truth.

I told him I didn't want anything and besides, he knew I wasn't celebrating Christmas this year. I just wanted to avoid anything to do with Christmas. But he knew I was still buying for him. I asked him what he wanted and he told me all he wanted was new clothes and that the stereo in his car sucked. I can't pick out his clothes or a new stereo, so I told him since I'm off all next week, (company closes this week every year) I'd take him for both of those on his day off. I know that's going to set me back a couple of grand, but that's okay. He's the only one I have to buy anything for so actually, that's going to be less than I normally spend each Christmas.

I spent late night and this morning trying to figure out what I could even find on Christmas Eve to buy him that wasn't going to cost very much. I knew I had to get him something to open on Christmas. Then it dawned on me how much effort he puts into taking care of his car. I headed up to PEP BOY's for a bunch of stuff he could use to clean his car inside and out. I even got a bucket and a mitt to wash it with. While I was there, I also picked him up a small tools set so maybe he'll stop borrowing mine so much. Then on the way home I swung by Circuit City and picked up a $100 gift card and then to Price Club where I bought him an CD/Radio/Alarm clock (he's dropped his a few times so could really use a new one) and a roll of wrapping paper and some tape.

Now that I was done with that I could relax, comforted in the fact that I had got Brian some stuff he could use and didn't spend all that much money. So next I headed up to Ruby Tuesday's for a burger and one or four beers (two-fers all day, everyday so WTF?).

I finish eating, pay the check and head out to the car. Then it hits me. I forgot to pick up the ravioli for dinner tomorrow. I had knew I had a container of BTExpress’s Award Winning, World Famous Tomato Sauce in the refridgerator thawing, but now I had nothing to put it on. I quick dash across the highway to the super market and wouldn't you know it, they closed at 6:00, just a few minutes ago (Christmas Eve you know). I tried a couple of other stores but they were all closed so I just headed home.

Looks like I will be going to someone's house on Christmas after all. I think I'll take Brian over to Robert and Corine' place. They told me if I changed my mind about coming, even at the last minute, to come over. It's some place I'd never been, so It won't really remind of all the Christmas's past and besides, Robert only drinks the finest beers and ales from around the world. He selects his beer like others select fine wine. 7-11 is open tomorrow, so I'll pick up some Bass Ale so I don't come empty handed.

5 comments:

Wenchy said...

Lucky Brian! Wanna adopt me????

I hope you have a wonderful day.

BTExpress said...

You? As hot as you are any day. :-D

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Tony, and Brian , good health in the coming year

Megan said...

Hi, sweetheart. I'm thinking of you today, and I'm glad you have something special to do that's not steeped in traditions of your Christmas's past. I'll be available to chat later today.

Wenchy said...

Yay! I'll call ya daddy if you like? LOL