Sunday, May 29, 2005

Memorial Day is Tomorrow

No matter what you think about the war in Iraq or Afghanistan, or the wars in the past, please stop tomorrow for a few minutes to pay respect to the men and women that have given their lives for their country.

I just finished reading a thread on Political Crossfire that brought me to tears. The things they were saying was very touching, especially to an old veteran like myself.

I guess you know I served in Vietnam for a short time, before I was wounded. When I came home, I caught some flack from time to time about my time as a grunt in Vietnam. It was a bad feeling to have to hear people say those things against me and against the war. I didn't deserve being spoken to that way, because I had nothing to with starting the bloody thing.

I was frigging drafted.

What was I supposed to do, move to Canada? That was completely out of the question because everything important to me was here.

Maybe I should have gone to prison for refusing to go? WTF would that of solved?

So into the military I went. Just like my brother, my father and all three of my uncles.

So do me a favor tomorrow, think about the vets that have lost their lives in the service of our country. I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

No comments: