Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Changing Caregivers again

My wife Barbara is ill and is under the care of a hospice group which is working out very well. An angency provides a caregiver to look after Barbara while I'm at work each weekday. I had to ask the agency to find a new caregiver this morning and she starts tomorrow because the one we had, was driving me crazy.

Like most 20 year olds, she never told me when we were out of anything, or almost out. Never put a clean bag in the garbage pail. Use up the last of the toilet paper and not replace it. Would forget to tell me about telephone calls I had to return that day. She waited until I'd get home when it was too late to call. Didn't do chores she was suppose to. Etc.

Well I had enough because of a few things she didn't do yesterday after me reminding her, so this morning we had a chat and I complained.

Again like a typical 20 year old; she told me she didn't understand why I was getting so upset, she never did anything on purpose because she'd forget and all very "snippy" When I told her she worked for me and I had a right to complain, she told me she didn't work for me, she worked for the agency. The attitude continued, I told her we were just going in circles and maybe I needed to get a new caregiver. "Go ahead if that's what you want, but you'll never find anyone that does the little extras I do, she says. (Which by the way, I pay her on the side to do, like laundry). She only gets paid $10.25 per hours so the extra cash helped I'm sure.)

Being less than thrilled with my conversation with the young lady when I left this morning, I stopped at the agency on my way to work this morning. I explained the situation to the owner of the agency and requested a new caregiver. The young lady was probably surprised when her supervisor showed up today and broke the news to her. I could tell because when I got home from work this evening, she didn't look very happy. I was also a little surprised to see that the chores the caregiver was forgetting to do, were done when I got home.


Well, a new girls starts tomorrow, so I will be working at home to show her where things are, how things are done for Barbara and the like. Her supervisor will also come over first thing in the morning to go over things with her and the three of us will discuss things just so there are no more misunderstandings.

Wish me luck that this one works out, because I don't need this shit.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Truly, best of luck to you with this one! NOBODY there needs this shit!
LibbY!