Saturday, February 25, 2006

Interesting night last night

I went shopping for appliances with Arlene right after she got home from work last night. She is moving down to North Carolina in a few months and needs all new appliances for the new house. First we went to a Home Show which, according to their web site was supposed to have some to look at, but nothing. There were some things there that gave her some ideas so it wasn’t a total waste. Next we went to PC Richard’s to look. Arlene got some good advice from one of the sales people and found what she needed. I thought she should get the refridgerator with the TV in the door. She was convinced until logic set in this moring.

We hadn’t eaten dinner, so we stopped at the Grill near where she lives. After a while, two soldiers came in and sat by us. Lucky for Arlene, they sat on my side. One was a Captain and pretty young and obviously toasted, the other was a full-bird Colonel and the Captain’s supervisor. They had been there earlier but left and now were back to get something to eat. They were cursing a lot so, Tara, the bartender asked them to stop, which they did, almost. Then we had a conversation about me being in Vietnam years ago, Iraq and a general lack of media support for the military. No arguments, just discussions.

The Captain is a very disgruntled soldier. He hates being in the Army and can’t wait to get out and told the Colonel he doesn’t want the promotion to Major. In my opinion, telling a “Lifer” and your boss those things aren’t really a good idea, but that’s just me. The captain kept moving his barstool closer to me the more we talked. I kept moving mine closer to Arlene’s. Then it seems like after everything Arlene or I said to him, he would shake my hand or kiss her’s. I thought the Captain was going to fall off his chair but the Colonel finally paid the check so they could leave. I shook their hands goodbye and the Captain stopped in the bathroom before he left. On his way out to leave he passed us, said goodbye again, put his arm on my shoulder and kissed me on the cheek.

WTF was that all about? I'm thinkng that I’m just too damn charming and good looking for my own good. ;-)

We left soon after that and I took Arlene home. While I was there she surprised me with gift she had ordered for me for Valentine’s Day that didn’t arrive on time to give to me then. A Precious Moments figurine named “You Make the World A sweeter Place”. Isn't that sweet? I have it on the shelf above my monitor.

Speaking of Valentine’s Day, I forgot to tell you Arlene and I went out to a nice restraunt that evening, The Snapper Inn. We sat in a room with a fireplace that was overlooking the water. They had an excellent lounge singer and the food was excellent as well. We held hands a lot which was very romantic. Earlier that day I had a large boguet of flowers delivered to her at work which really surprised her. I remembered seeing how the women I used to work with felt when they got flowers at work and how much attention they got, so I decided it would be a good idea and it was. Arlene gave me a bottle of cologne, a small box of candy and a very nice card. All told, it was a very enjoyable and romantic evening.

10 comments:

lime said...

a fridge with a tv in the door. what will they think of next??

interesting bar conversation.

and what a guy you are. very observant about the valentine's day bit. smart man, smart man.

Wenchy said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh your valentine sounds wonderful. *sigh* I am very jealous.

SassyLadi said...

If was a very "annoying" evening with those two wasted guys. I kept loosing my train of thought. However, the closer part wasn't so bad!!!! (Not that he needed to be coerced!)

Valentines Day was really special. Its been a very long time since I was made to feel that way. Thank you again sir!

I wish I could justify a TV in the refrigerator ----uhhhhhhhhhhhh but NO. The model without the TV will have to do for half the price.

Chelle said...

Sounds like things are coming along wonderfully with Arlene!!! I am so happy for you! :)

.- said...

dude
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/24/soldiers.charged/index.html
but what a sweetheart you are to send flowers -

SignGurl said...

Maybe the Captain was exercising his "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. What a weird night.

kb said...

Awww that figurine is soooo cute!! and a kiss from the captain too?! hehe you ARE a lucky man!

Libby said...

i knew that 'hot' factor would catch up with ya someday, tony!

aughra said...

I'm so glad that things are going well for you and Arlene. And I think you are too charming for your own good.

No One In Particular said...

Awww, that is sweet! And I have no idea about the soldiers...eek!