Saturday, February 04, 2006

Dinner at Arlene’s

Arlene invited me over for dinner and a movie last night. I really enjoy going out, but also very much enjoy a quiet evening relaxing with someone special at home too. Last night was one of those quite evening at home.

When I arrived at Arlene's around 7:00 PM, I heard the ever present sound of music playing quietly in the background and smelled the aroma from the many candles she had burning in almost every room of the house. Arlene loves music, her favorite being oldies, so she always has it playing, whether it is at home or in her car. She also loves the smell and glow of candles and often has them burning all over the house. I loved the mood the candles and music set, it was very romantic. Almost nothing can compare to turning the lights down low and listening to your favorite music sitting in the glow of candles burning around the room, especially if it with someone special.

We started the evening off with a drink and then sat at the table in the kitchen chatting and eating the appetizer Arlene made of crackers with cheese, cucumber slices and radish slices. The flowers I gave her the last time I saw her were in a vase in the middle of the table and still in very good shape.

We talked for a long time before she put dinner in the oven, just enjoying each other’s company. We even danced to a few of our favorite slow songs. I got lost in her beautiful green eyes, while listening to her quietly sing along with the songs. We both sang along actually, me much quieter because I really don’t sing very well at all. She has a beautiful voice, but will deny it if you ask her. I was having a ball.

We ate a delicious dinner of oven baked chicken cutlets, broccoli with cheese sauce and mashed sweet potatoes she had in her freezer that her son Dan made. Dan is a chef so they were excellent and very tasty. We shared a bottle of wine with dinner and then after we finished, I helped her clean up and even washed the dishes for her. She kept telling that I was her guest and to sit down, but I did it anyway.

After we cleaned up, we went into the living room to watch a movie and have the desert Arlene had prepared. The desert was one of both our favorites. It was fresh fruit mixed in a bowl and included sliced strawberries, blueberries and sliced kiwi. She also made up a small plate of pastries with a few small pieces of chocolate scattered amongst them. The desert with a few glasses of B&B brandy and a little while later, some coffee.
We then put in the movie, turned the lights down low and sat very close together on the couch sharing our desert with each other. I massaged her feet and then her back and we kissed. It was the most romantic evening one could imagine and I didn't think it could get any any better than that, but it did.

After the movie ended, she wanted to watch some old videos she has of her family and one of people singing at a place she used to work. We couldn’t get the VCR to work with the TV in the living room so we went into her bedroom. We lied down on top of the covers on her bed and watched the videos there. We layed down against this massive pile of pillows Arlene has on her bed, just snuggling and holding each other for hours. Time flew by very quickly and about 2:30 AM we fell a sleep in each other’s arms.

We both woke up at 6:00 when Arlene put her dog out. I quickly fell back to sleep. I woke back up about 7:00 AM and saw Arlene had fallen back to sleep. I didn’t want to wake her, but just couldn’t leave without saying goodbye. I leaned over close to her and spoke softly to gently wake her. Arlene opened her eyes ever so slightly. I thanked her for the special evening, she nodded. I said goodbye and then kissed her softly on the forehead. I got up and left, closing the front door quietly behind me.

It was cold outside early this morning, 34 degrees F actually. The windows of my car were covered in frost. I only wore a very light jacket the night before because it was a lot warmer, but I wasn’t the least bit cold and I felt so good. I scraped the ice off the car windows and then I got in the car and drove slowly home feeling very relaxed and contented wondering how life could get any better than this.

18 comments:

Megan said...

Wonderful! Sounds SO romantic and sweet! I'm so very happy for you Tony. You deserve it.

Deadly Female said...

Such a wonderful evening for you - and I am so so so happy for you xx

Jillian said...

What a wonderful evening!!

Libby said...

yay for tony!!

Daniele said...

Wow. Sounds like it's getting serious! Do you have valentine's day plans? My boys should take a page from your book :)

MamaKBear said...

All I can say is "Awwwwwwwww!!"

;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz,
It sounds like you meet someone very special and had a real nice time with her. I am real happy you are getting your life back together. While enjoy each other and just start enjoying life.
Go steelers.
John

BTExpress said...

Thank you all so much. It make me very happy to know you feel this way.

Yes, we both had a very good evening. I enjoy Arlene's company very much and hope to continue seeing her as much as I can until she moves to NC in a few months. I'm sure I'll find my way down there for a visit from time to time, so if any of you are in the Nashville/Raleigh area, let me know and we'll hang out.

Unknown said...

Oh BTE - that sounds so lovely!!!

(((hugs))) I am giddy for you!!

oxox

Barbara said...

so romantic....I want to buy the movie:)

BTExpress said...

Arlene - I hope you know I'm sincere.

Trojan - If you can hook me up, I'll turn my blog into a movie.

Wenchy said...

Hey Tony... I so enjoyed reading this......... *sigh* Just beautiful.

Chickie said...

Great! :)

CozyMama said...

awwwh, how nice.

Unknown said...

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Monalicious said...

I agree--siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh is right.

lime said...

how wonderful. i am really delighted for both of you! what a special evening :)

MG said...

WOW.... the emotion that comes to mind/heart is joy.... wow :)

and I noticed, no GA on your map over there? we need to fix that!