Monday, July 09, 2007

Power Washing & Retaining Walls

If you remember, I've decided to fix up the old homestead. I was going to remodel the bathrooms first, but the contractor that was going to do the work, seemed to have disappeared. Getting someone to replace him, that will charge a reasonable price, is easier said than done. So that leaves me with a living room full of bathroom fixtures.

Since the bathroom projects have been put on hold for now, I decided to start working on the outside of the house instead. The list of things to do outside seems endless. I'm sure the list will grow, but here's what I'm doing so far.
  1. Rip out a lot of the over grown shrubbery
  2. Take out old walk ways in front yard
  3. Transplant rhododendron to back yard
  4. Trim shrubbery in entire yard
  5. Power wash the house
  6. Build retaining walls in the front of the (house
  7. Repair front stoop, cover stoop in slate to match roof of house and replace hand rails
  8. Plant new shrubbery, plants & flowers in the front
  9. Install shutters by all the windows (I'll do this myself)
  10. Repair the small amount of miscellaneous damage to the siding around the house
  11. Replace the driveway. This will have to wait until I sell my boat, which is hopefully soon.
Parts 1, 2, 3 & 4 were completed last Monday. Part 5 was 90% completed last Thursday. The guy missed the side of the house above the garage and the foundation. I told the owners of the landscaping company and they will have the guy come back and finish the job. It really made a big difference.



Friday morning two guys showed up with the stone for the retaining wall. They didn't finish Friday and were supposed to come back on Saturday, but Saturday they never showed up. They did come back today and finished.

The truck has a pallet of stone and a load of top soil to put behind the retaining walls.







While one guy digs a trench for the first couple of courses of stone,......







......while the other guy starts unloading the stone from the truck.








The building of the retaining wall starts.








This is the smaller of the two walls. I didn't like the selection of stone that was left, so told him to call his boss and tell him I wanted him to get a second pallet of stone, which he agreed to do. They were a lot better.





Here's the finished retaining walls. That bench on the stoop is new too. It was on sale at the hardware store for $29.95, so I got it. It's made out of cast iron and an unknown-to-me type of wood. Lori thought it would look good there. She also picked out the purple flower next to it. Guess she couldn't wait. LOL


There were a lot of left over smaller stone that I didn't want used for the retain walls. Today the guy asked me if I wanted him to use it to build small walls to outline the flower beds and bushes elsewhere in my yard. I told him sure and showed him a few places I thought it would look nice. I had to run a few errands and was gone for a few hours, so let him decide what to do. I was pleasantly surprised with what I found when I got back.

This is the fence by my side yard on the south side of my house. I think I'll plant a few rhododendrons here.







This is the beginning of the low wall the guys built while I was gone. I never expected they would do this much, but am very happy the did. I really like the way it came out. Maybe he went the extra mile because I gave him my old lawn self-propelled lawn mower.




This is the fence behind my house. The house behind me is for sale if you have $600,000.

Edit: $750,000........... That just means my place is worth all that much more. :-D




Here's the rhododendron they transplanted from in front of my stoop.







And the low wall continues around and ends at the edge of the deck. This is the hedge near the shallow end of my pool.







I really, really like the way this project is progressing. I wonder how much my property value will go up after this part is completed?

(Look at the post below this one for the before video of my house and yard.)


Edit: Here's a video of the place now.


5 comments:

GAB said...

WOW What a difference! I love it. It's gotta increase the value of the house a lot now by it looking so nice and neat. Can't wait to see all the flowers bush plants whatnots you add next.

Anonymous said...

That looks outstanding. The stone work really sets things apart. I'm sure you have added some substantial value to your home. It's like selling a clean car vs a dirty car. A little TLC goes a long way. Hope you do some side by side comparison shots when all is complete.

I've been doing house projects too. Spent today changing every light fixture in and out of the house (lights were 20% off plus 10% military). Got rid of the shiney builder's brass stuff (no offense if that's what anyone has ;) ) and replaced it all with various designs of brushed nickel, including a display model I got for $8! Interior paint starts in a couple of days!

Monogram Queen said...

I think it's wonderful that you are able to do all of this. It enhances the curb appeal and property value win+win!
I love the stone. Love it.

jillie said...

What a big difference the power washing made. Damn! I really like the retaining walls and the purple flowers that Lori put next to your new bench.

Lookin good Tony!!

;o)

Wenchy said...

Yr place looks so nice.