Monday, July 02, 2007

Curb Appeal, Curb Appeal! It's All About Curb Appeal!

Today I started another large project at my place. This project is new landscaping. I had the old bushes in the front of the house ripped out, once bush transplanted, the rest of the shrubs trimmed and a part of an old sidewalk removed. This is what the landscaper accomplished in 5 hours.

Here's the "before" of the front of my home.


Here's the "before" of one end of my pool.








This is the hedge at the other end of the pool.








The north side yard looking towards the pool.








The north side yard looking towards the street.








Here's what used to be a garden. Now it's just weeds.








The crew arrives and starts ripping everything out in the front of the house. This guy is the owner of the business. Guess that's why he gets to play with all the very cool toys.






It was amazing how fast a backhoe can destroy the over 50 years old shrubs.







Everything is gone!








It filled up four trucks. Here's two of them.

















Boy, did those bushes need trimming!








I also had the old cement walkway removed. Most of it was destroyed when the cesspools were installed in the front yard, so it looked stupid with the cement walk and the rest being gray slate.





I couldn't believe how thick it was. Maybe 4 or 5 inches think!








Once they got everything cleared out, they raked it and then brought in a load of top soil.



















The old side walk is no more.








I've never seen this side yard so bright. It's amazing what cutting down those old trees did!







I can actually walk behind the diving board now. Speaking of diving board, I have to get a new one of those too. It was cracked last summer when a VERY big guy jumped up and down on it.






I can walk around that side of to pool too now.

















The place looks so naked now.








Looks a lot different!

Next they are going to power wash the house and send a mason over to redo my stoop. I'm having it covered with the slate that almost matches the roof of the house.

(To be continued!)

8 comments:

jillie said...

That looked like a lot of work! WHEW! Good thing you didn't have to do it. I know we have some MAJOR repairing to do on our fence. We want to level out the back yard first and then put a new fence up. Makes me tired just thinking about it!

Looks great though ;o)

lime said...

so would you call this a half nekkid house?

Sandi said...

wow! that is gonna look great! I didn't know you had a pool.. I am coming over!

Tara Tainton said...

Beautiful home! So inviting... and great choice on investing in sprucing up the landscaping. Can't wait to see the after-shots!

xoxo
Tara

Monogram Queen said...

You are right it IS all about curb appeal. I know you will be so glad you did it though Tony and you're already enjoying the wider open spaces. LMAO at the diving board... hmmmm.. I can't imagine WHO cracked it!
Think of the "bare" look as a clean slate and you can make it look however you wish!

tkkerouac said...

Lots of work, I'm exhausted just looking at it. Great exercise though!

BTExpress said...

Thanks Jillie.

Lime - LOL, yep, I guess you can.

Sandi - Come on over! Lori and I went swimming Sunday and the water is great.

Tara - Thanks.If you ever come to this area, try to make it the summer so you guys can take a dip.

Patti Cake - No, it wasn't me. A bunch of my sons friends were over and they kept diving in. The biggest guy that finally cracked it much have weight 300 lbs.

Tkkerouac - I removed on old bush last year and it took me so long and I was exhausted. There was no way I was going to try ripping all the bushes old.

Mark Leslie said...

Hey this is cool - Bob Villa should have you as a guest on his show - you've done such a nice job of outlining the whole process