Monday, July 30, 2007

It's been a hectic last few days!

Lori moved over the weekend. Instead of 1 1/2 hours away in Greenport, she'll be just 10 minutes away in Patchogue. She moved down by the water across the street from a deli and 1/2 block away from the town beach and Olympic sized town swimming pool. Her new apartment was freshing painted, has new bathroom fixtures with a shower enclosure, laminate wood floors throughout, new appliances and kitchen cabinets. Lori talked the landlord into installing a dishwasher and a washer and dryer. I think she has to pay for those, but the owner owns a appliance warehouse so she'll only have to pay wholesale if at all.

Finding a U-Haul truck for the move was a challenge. Either they were all rented or the only ones left were reserved for out of state moves. If no one wanted it on Friday, then Lori could rent it for use on Saturday and Sunday. She was sweating bullets that one would be available until one of her co-workers talked to her. This guy works part time for one of the owners of the aquarium Lori works at. The owner owns a wholesale nursery supply business and the guy got him to loan Lori truck for the weekend. How cool is that? A rental would have cost at least $500, but since all she had to was pay for gas, it came to just $69! HEE, HEE, HEE, 69

I met Lori, her son and one of her son's friends at the apartment Saturday after dinner to unload the truck. I should say, I eventually met them. Little did we know but Saturday night was the annual fireworks show in town. At 7:00 PM they close all of the roads south of town to traffic. Lori talked herself through, but they wouldn't let me down or the boys in the truck. We had to park and wait until the show was over, which wasn't until 10:00PM. All that time wasted doing nothing.

We finally arrived at the apartment and started unloading. All of the heavy things were in this trip, so unloading was rough for Lori and I. The boys hardly broke a sweat. Being young and strong has it's rewards that way. We probably filled half the square footage of the place with that load. We didn't leave until about 1:30AM.

Sunday they loaded up the truck with the rest of their stuff, and I met them in the late afternoon. By the time I got there the boys they had finished unloading the truck. Yaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Too bad because I was really looking forward to exhausting myself again.

The boys had something to eat and then Lori's son's two friends left to go back to Greenport. Next we went back to my place to get my bed and the sofa I've been keeping in my garage for her. I bought a new king size bed last Friday, so gave her my old one. It's one of those memory foam jobbers, so I'm really looking forward to tonights sleep. It's being delivered somewhere between 6-10 tonight. It has to be a million % better than sleeping on my couch, like I did last night.

Once we got the couch moved in and the bed setup in Lori's bedroom, we dropped off the truck and went to dinner. That was a challenge in itself. Lori has three adult children in their 20s and they couldn't agree on what the wanted for dinner. One wanted Chinese food, another didn't etc, etc, etc. Since they couldn't decide, so I decided a on a place where everyone would be happy, a diner. Everyone was happy too.

Today was the start of a massive unpacking project for Lori and her kids. They also had to go shopping for curtains and shades and who knows what else. Tomorrow after work I think they are going back to the old apartment to vacuum and clean out any old junk. They also have to get the Salvation Army to come over and get their old living room set.

This morning I had my own project to work on, getting my bedroom cleaned up and ready for the new bed. I had to rearrange the furniture, because my old bed was a queen size and the new one is a king.

WOO-HOO, imagine what trouble Lori and I can get into on king size bed! Anyone want to join us? There's going to be plenty of room. ;-)

Next I went shopping for new sheets and a blanket for the bed. The rug looked so dirty in the high traffic paths when I moved the furniture, that I also bought a Hoover steam vac to clean it while I was out. It does floors too, so will be very useful for me. I had a coupon for 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond, so I saved $60 on the steam vac! Woo-Hoo for that too!

Tomorrow I'm going to buy Lori new hardware for the front and side doors. The locks are the old ones and who knows who still has keys for them. I'm also getting them a programmable thermostat to help the save on natural gas. I'll install them in the evening when they get back from Greenport, if it's early enough.

If I can still move and walk, I'll clean the carpet in my bedroom tomorrow too. It means moving furniture again, but it will be worth it. That means I don't have to go out walking for my new weight loss program. Let hear another WOO-HOO for not having to go walking!!!

If your interested, I'm steadily loosing about a pound week on this program. Let's give another WOO-HOO for that too!

9 comments:

jGrrl said...

SOOOO busy!!! After this you need to lie in bed for four days, with my medical history I'm almost qualified to prescribe that you know ;) kisses her for me, k? Y'all gotta find a local inn place that has a hot tub for even just one night and have a mini honeymoon type thing to rest up before you tackle the organising. take wine, finger foods, deli cuts, cheeses and have a middle-bed picnic together :)

gab said...

3 WHOO HOO's! WTG.
Mr Gab and I used to have a king sized bed....god I miss it.
Glad to hear Lori has moved closer finally.

Sexy Duet said...

Good to hear the move went well, even if it was somewhat exhausting.
Have fun breaking in that new bed ;)

Ms SD

lime said...

man i am tired just reading about it all but giving a hearty woohoo!!! for all the good stuff going on:)

mrs. m said...

Exciting news! I was wondering if Lori ever found a place or if she was forced to wait because nothing good was available. So... are you gonna give us a video tour of Lori's new place?

BTExpress said...

Amber - I'll take a video as soon as they get everything put away and Lori tells me it's okay.

mrs. m said...

Woohoo!

Monogram Queen said...

So glad Lori & co got moved. Sorry you had some hassles but what's a good move without SOME glitches?? :)

CozyMama said...

so glad she moved closer!! yeah!!