Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My New Bed

First off, I have to tell you I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new bed!!!! It has an 8 inch thick Sealy True Form memory foam mattress. Once I went to sleep last night, I don't remember waking up at all during the night. I didn't wake up until 10:00 this morning. I have severe sleep apnea, so that says a lot about how good this bed is.

If you read my last post, AND YOU BETTER HAVE!!! my new bed was delivered yesterday. I spent a good three hours cleaning the room. Things like rearranging the furniture, vacuuming countless number of years worth if dust under the bed and behind the furniture I moved, moving the cable TV wire to the other side of the room and scrubbing the walls where it was needed. I didn't have time to clean the carpet, but that will be done when I recover from all the frigging work the last three days.

Here's a shot of my bedroom all rearranged, cleaned and waiting for the new bed.


The guys that delivered the bed put it together in less than 5 minutes. I had the new sheets and blanket, but didn't like the way the box spring looked, so took a quick trip up to Bed Bath and Beyond for a bed skirt. To install it, I had to take the mattress off the bed.

Damn that was a heavy sucker, but I managed.

I got the bed skirt on and and then put the mattress back. While trying to square up the mattress, I screwed up the bed skirt, so I had to go around the bed lifting and pulling until the bed skirt was on correctly.

Then I notice the mattress was on funny. It over hung on the sides. I measured it with a tape measure and found out the installer had put the mattress on 90 degrees off. That meant I had to turn the mattress.

I managed to do that, but you know what that meant? The bed skirt was all messed up again.

So it was back to lifting the mattress with one hand while pulling the bed skirt with the other. I even had to move the bed away from the wall to get behind it so I could do some pulling and lifting from the head of the bed.

Of course that moved the box spring on the frame when I did that. So now I had to try and move the whole bed back toward the wall about 4 inches with out moving the frame.

That was easier said than done, but I managed to move it most of the way. Not completely, but enough so it doesn't look out of position.

I made the bed and stood back proudly and took a picture for postarity. Here ladies and gentleman, and those of you that don't qualify for either of those, is my new bed.


The story doesn't end there.

The window behind my bed faces east, so the sun shines in it as soon as the sun comes up. I discovered that this morning. So the next thing is to get room darkener shades to solve that problem. I also have to order a headboard. Lori and I like to sit up in bed in the morning and watch TV while we use our laptops.

Sitting up while watching someone do your neither region is also nice too. ;-)

11 comments:

Tommy said...

Oh yeah ... but you know it was worth all the hassle ... and besides, being retired, what else did you have to do with all that time? LOL Have a great day T.
TG

lime said...

crimony, afte r all that i am betting you'd have prefered to take the walk afterall!

looks good though, nice job:)

Regal said...

It looks nice - glad you stopped by and visited and had a good laugh at my "Priceless" blog - :)

jGrrl said...

Oh gods I envy you!!! You freakin' rock man.. Its $299.00 for a 3 inch memory pad here for a double sized mattress... I have a pillow that cost $15 but its nothing to those pads... Yay you!! Please roll around a bunch for me?

Sis B said...

i was taken in by a commercial for one of those beds recently when there was a glass of wine on the corner of the bed that didn't get spilled by a guy jumping in the middle. not sure how that translates into a good night's sleep, but it looked cool to me.

and just one question... how could you have lived there all these years and just NOW notice that your window faces east and you need darkening curtains? :D

BTExpress said...

Tommy - Your right, but I normally do nothing so doing all this work os a really big chore to me now. I'm not supposed to do anything.

Lime - In a way, yes, but the bed is worth it!

Jean - I had a 3 inch bed topper before this, but it only cost me $49. Where are you shopping?

Sis - My bed used to be on the other side of the room, that's why. The new location was the only place the new king size bed would fit.

TUG said...

Oh man, that post cracks me up. I'm picturing a one man version of the 3 Stooges, running all frantic back and forth around the bed. Glad it finally all worked out.

Sexy Duet said...

Who knew making a bed could be that much work, but the end result is well worth it.

Ms SD

Monogram Queen said...

Ah congrats on the new bed but good lord that was a lot of work!

Chelle said...

I am so jealous...I hav ealways wanted one of those memory foambeds! I havne't had a good nights rest in years!!! SOunds like it works for you! :)

jGrrl said...

I swear to God, the cheapest place in town and its $299! Even Walmart its insanity! They're like damn Midas treasure 'round these parts! I have searched!

LOL. Pop over hun, there's something for you...