Thursday, May 24, 2007

US Army Basic Training


I was drafted into the army on May 6, 1968 and sent to Fort Jackson in South Carolina for basic training and Advanced Individual Training (AIT). Both assignments trained me for an 11B MOS as an infantryman and service in Vietnam. I got to basic training about a week after arriving at Fort Jackson. The first week at Fort Jackson was spent at the Reception Center.

The first week of basic was spent mostly being harassed while waiting for the rest of the troops to arrive. I have a lot of stories about my time in basic, but I'm not ready to tell them all in this short HNT post. I promise that someday I'll write another chapter about basic training for my Vietnam Story blog.

So as to give this post a reason for me making it, here are some of the pictures I scanned from my yearbook.

The is SSG Temple, the lead drill sargeant assigned to our platoon. What a prick! He was a real redneck from the back woods of Tennessee and hated yankees. Since most of us were from the northern states, he gave us shit for almost the entire time we were in basic. He was the most despised drill sargeant we had.

To give you an idea what a prick he was, one Sunday him and the corporal got drunk and thought it would be funny to "really" harass the troops. Sundays was always our day to rest, so that especially made the harassment suck even more than usual.

The battalion commander just happened to come to our company area and saw what was going on. Both NCOs were court marshaled and busted down a rank. Luckily, I was assigned to the motor pool that day as a truck driver, so I missed it, but I was told all about it when I got back.

This is SGT Krietz and the most liked of all the NCOs commanding us. Just look at him, can you blame us for liking the guy?

Who does he remind you of? You'll know if you ever watched the Andy Griffith Show or Mayberry RFD. Yep, the spitting image of Deputy Barney Fife the bumbling dope of a deputy of Sheriff Taylor.

But Sgt Kreitz was far from a bumbling dope. Like almost all drill instructors, he had served at least one tour in Vietnam and was an excellent trainer.

Here are some pics of all of the troops in Company A, Sixth Battalion, Second Brigade and a few other guys I hung out with from other platoons. I'm in there somewhere. See if you can find me. Click on the pic to make it larger if you have trouble.

Couldn't find me? No biggie. Here's a close up of Private BTExpress. Look at those fucking elephant ears!

Happy HNT Soldier!

Ya know what I was just thinking? I wonder how many of the young men you see above, never made it back alive from Vietnam, I wonder?

20 comments:

Libby said...

tony-i was just thinking & wondering if you ever heard of 'barney fyfe' again! good pictures!

SIMPLY ME said...

I love those ears, but of course you already know that. I do hope most of those boys returned to their families. I sure am glad you did baby. Happy HNT lover!

Don said...

So you eventually grew into the ears and now you are trying to shrink back to that? Maybe Lori is right.

barman said...

You know the sad thing is I was thinking the same thing Tony about how many made it back alive. It sure is a shame.

I can not believe I could not find you. I looked for a picture that did not have a signature over it and I missed your picture. You know I would not have picked you out. Looking mighty good. Just don't get those ears in the sun as they just might burn bad.

You know Barny Fife. I was thinking he looked like an older Oppie. You know, one aged about 10 years or so. But I could see Barney Fife in him. Shazam. Wait that was Gomer Pyle.

Hollz said...

very cute ears.. HHNT!

Moosekahl said...

very very cool...thanks for sharing this with us. Happy Memorial Day and thanks for what you did!

S said...

Indeed Tony, and how many young men are not going to make it out alive from Iraq?
Fricking shame..

Anyway, you were pretty handsome, even with the ears!

HHNT

Hella said...

I always had a thing for aman in uniform!
HHNT

Stealth said...

Wow, that last sentence got me in the throat...

I am glad you are here!

HHNT :)

Blissfully Wed said...

Thank you.

~Him

Zoely said...

nice ears...i know what to do with ears like that!! LOL...HHNT babe!

SM said...

I'll have to take some more time to read your Vietman stories. You describe it so well. HHNT

Mark Leslie said...

Tony, I love reading those memories - thanks for sharing. And it's sad to think about how many of those young people never made it back home. God bless them and you.

You went exactly one year before I was born. I'm so glad you made it back and I've been fortunate enough to get to know you through this wonderful blogosphere.

Happy HNT.

tkkerouac said...

Love your last shot, awesome, Happy HNT!

Monogram Queen said...

Tony great story and I hope every one made it back. HHNT

Bunny said...

Yipes! Those are some ears! ;) Happy HNT!

gab said...

I had found you it was easy really your the only one without writing over the picture! Cute! Yes I always wonder what ever happened to those I use to write to when I was in High school. I know one guy was hurt and sent back to the states but I never heard from him again so I guess I assumed that he died somewhere along the way.

Tara Tainton said...

I LOVE these old photos and especially the tales that go with them. So much for me to learn and soak up. :) And I didn't know Basic came with a yearbook! At least back in the day. :) Can't wait to see and hear more...

xoxo
tara

rob said...

You look a bit like one of Ernie Bilko's sidekicks, the tall blond one.

HHNT.

lime said...

a belated HHNT to yo utony. terrific post, and may i say, thank you for your service. i'm so very glad you made it home.