Friday, May 04, 2007

May is National Masturbation Month!

Eight years ago, San Francisco sex toy and education shop, Good Vibrations , declared May to be "Masturbation Month." I made a post about it once, but can’t find it now. I found something here, written in 1999, which explains the origin of Nation Masturbation Month.

To bring to bring attention to what it calls one of the most common and least talked-about human activities. "Most Americans masturbate and yet there continues to be a lot of shame and guilt around masturbation," Weide said. "We wanted to do something that would affirm masturbation as a central part of sexuality that is natural, that is healthy, that is positive. We thought that if Hallmark (a greeting cards firm) can create holidays, we can too," she added. As part of its celebration, the store voiced its support for Sherri Williams, lead plaintiff against the state of Alabama for its efforts to prevent the sale and distribution of sex toys. Williams is the owner of two Alabama sex toy shops. A U.S. Federal Court judge struck down the state ban on the sale of such products, but the state's attorney general filed an appeal last week.

How do like that girls? They are trying to ban sex toys! Now if that isn't a good enough reason to join in, then I don't know what is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also learned that May 7th has been declared National Masturbation Day, so if you don't feel like celebrating every day this month, like I will be doing, at least mark your calendars and join the celebration for that one day.

To learn more about Masturbation Month and about masturbation in general, visit the Darklady Masturbate-a-Thon web site. While your there, check out the links section for some very interesting reading.

Now if you’ll please excuse me, it’s already the fourth and I’ve missed some of the celebrating. I have some catching up to do. ;-)

7 comments:

jillie said...

A holiday for getting to know yourself...I like that!

LOL

SIMPLY ME said...

My parents are visiting so I'm holding off. But when I come to your place on Tuesday night, wanna watch me catch up???

lime said...

i ain't NEVER moving to alabama!!!!

and woohoo!!!happy masturbation month!

'mark your calendar' *snicker

BTExpress said...

I knew I could on you ladies. ;-)

Lori - Sure. :-D Can I help? ;-)

Tara Tainton said...

I can't think of a better way to welcome the steamy, Summer months!

Monogram Queen said...

master of your own doman Day.. Sa-weet!!!

No One In Particular said...

I've been to busy to join in the celebration - I'd better catch up tonight!