Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Getting Back in Shape (Hopefully)

Four weeks ago I went to my first weight loss meeting at the VA Hospital. Lori thinks I'm the prefect weight and size, but the doctors and I disagree. I figure I have to loose something like 70-80 pounds.

I've made significant changes in my diet; e.g., lower fat and calories and higher in fiber. I've also started eating a morning meal and drinking milk with my meals too. I know I need to do better, but this old dog is not so easy to retrain.

I was on Weight Watchers years ago and dropped about 50 pounds. The key to my weight loss then, was my running everyday. I was doing about 5 miles a day until my feet went. Then the weight slowly started creeping back on until now, I'm the previously mentioned 70-80 pounds over weight.

I know I'm in no shape to start running right now, so the plan is to walk. The VA program has laid out a 12 week walking plan which I started today. In the beginning, I go out walking every other day and work up from there. Today I followed this route in my neighborhood.


I looked on the Internet and found this web site. Among other things, it allows you to trace your route on a map and lets you save it for your records. It also calculates how fast you walked, or ran if your running, and the distance of the route you mark on a map. It calculated that today, I walked 1.6 miles @ 2.2 miles per hour. Not bad for my first day. :-D

8 comments:

SIMPLY ME said...

I'm proud of you baby, and yes I do love you just the way you are. I will love you at any weight, forever!

Libby said...

that is really cool, tony!!

Beth said...

I'm so jealous. You have WAYYY more "umph" than me.

BTExpress said...

Lori - Thanks baby. I'll need your support to stick to this, k?

Libby - Thanks!

Beth - You can do it too, but you have to get the "umph" and then you'll do it.

sm said...

Great job! We've found one of our keys to losing weight is reducing sugar. I'm down 30 pounds since the beginning of the year.

Monogram Queen said...

I wish you luck Tony. It's not easy to lose weight but you can do it sweetie!

lime said...

best of luck. i am trying to do the same thing for the same reasons. i wish you the best.

gab said...

WTG! Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see the new improved sexier you! lol