Sunday, March 05, 2006

West Side Story & the Drum Sticks

Arlene got tickets for the musical West Side Story at one of our local high schools for Friday night. Her boss’s daughter goes to the high school so our tickets were 7 rows back in the center section, great seats. I have to take my hat off to everyone involved in the play, because it was excellent, and so was the orchestra. Everyone did a really terrific job. We really enjoyed the play and had a great time.

We hadn’t eaten dinner before the play so we went to Kenny’s after it was over to get something to eat and listen to music. We stayed until 1:00 and had a great time. I took Arlene home and she showed me some pictures of her new house in North Carolina. We also looked at some other pictures of her family. It was kind of like looking at a family album. The house looks good now, but will look great once she is done remodeling it.

Now the band at Kenny's, was not just any run of the mill local band playing. Noooooooooooo, no it wasn’t. They were three professional musicians that live on Long Island that get together to make a few bucks and to have fun.

*** John Miceli – drummer for Meatloaf and used to play with Blue Oyster Cult.

*** George Citron – guitar and vocals for Enrique Iglesias band

*** Rob DiMartino – bass guitar for Virgin Steele, Rainbow and Rondinelli

The owner’s nephew Joey, is good friends with John Miceli. He took drum lessons from John and also does some work for Meatloaf. That’s how they got them to play last night. They were excellent and everyone really enjoyed it.

Last night I went to Kenny’s again. Joey had brought his drums in for John Miceli to use. Joey was packing them up to get them out of the way for that nights music. John had left a set of drumsticks with the drums that he used the night before so Joey gave them to me as a souvenir. I now have a pair of “John Miceli Signature Series” drumsticks actually used by the drummer from Meatloaf himself.

How cool is that?

11 comments:

lime said...

that is very cool indeed! sounds like a fun time had by all!

kellywalters said...

That my love.. is the coolest thing I have ever heard!!

thats even better then my I got to drink with bud bundy story!

you rule!..

btw.. dan and I have decided to get a room for the blog weekend too.. ;)

Chase North said...

Okay, that is freaking cool!

SassyLadi said...

And I was there for it..............or at least to hear them. They were good. And the dance we danced by the Al Green song was even better.

BTExpress said...

Lime - There were very few people until 1:00, then it was packed until after 3:00. I think a large group left a wedding or something and continued the party at Kenny's.

Roxi - Aw, thanks sweetheart. Let me know where you are staying so we stay in the same place.

Sarah! I've miised you. It is very cool. It even impressed my son Brian.

Sassyladi - I didn't know whether to dance fast or slow to that one. I'm not as good a dancer as you, but I do like to give it a try.

Libby said...

that's neat, tony!! i heart meatloaf!!

Beth said...

I'm so jealous! I haven't been to a play in FEREVER!

S said...

Glad you and Arlene are still hitting it off! I've added you to my bloglist, is that ok, sir?

XX

BTExpress said...

Libby - Joey says they will be back so I'll take my camera and get you a picture or seven.

Queen - When I make it your neighborhood, maybe we can go to see one together

Barefoot - Sure you can add me. Thank you.

Wenchy said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wish I could go to see West Side Story.

You lucky person.

Loves you.

barman said...

That is to cool. What an awesome time. What a fun souvenir. I love plays at high schools and community theatre. That would have been great.

Wow Roxi, Dan will be down for Blog weekend. That is great.