Monday, June 04, 2007

PIG ROAST SUNDAY

Sunday Lori and I went to a Tag Sale at the local VFW Post in the morning and to a charity pig roast in the afternoon. The weather was beautiful all day unlike last year when it rained all day.

The VFW received a lot of good things for their tag sale. Lori found three VHS tapes of an old TV series, Dark Shadows along with a few other things she wanted. I hit the jack pot when I found a brand news tri-pod for my camera for just $5.00 and a chain saw with an extra new chain for $15.00.

After the tag sale we went home for lunch and then headed east for the pig roast at the Pindar Vineyard.



Each year Pindar hosts the charity pigs roast to raise money for the East End Hospice.



Last year was the first year Lori and I went. We had such a good time, we invited our friends Joanie & Scott to join us. I worked with Scott before I retired and we've remained good friends.



They had entertainment for the kids.

A couple of those things you bounce around in.



Clowns - The lady clown did face paintings and the guy made balloon sculptures like balloon hats.



Well, not everyone that wanted a balloon hat was a kids. A couple of elderly ladies wore them proudly. LOL



They set up a couple of tents for the food. One to prepare it, and one to serve it.



The food was great, but a bit too cold. They served roasted pig of course, hot dogs, hamburgers, salad, potato salad, beans, corn bread and apple sauce.



I can't forget the unlimited free wine and beer.



They raffled off a lot of prizes donated by merchants and a had 50/50 drawing. I bought raffle tickets for Lori and I. Here I am filling out a winning ticket soon after we arrived.



When they called my name, I was too busy chatting to hear what I'd won. When I walked up to claim my prize, I was unpleasantly surprised when they handed me this large basket of children's games.





If I had small kids or grandkids, I would have been happy to win it. But THANK GOD I have neither! I'm too old to chase kids around anymore.

When the woman handed me the basket I said, "What am I going to do with this?"

"Do you have any small children?", she asked.

"Nope", I replied.

"How about grandkids?, she asked.

"Not that I know of." I said.

Naw, just kidding, I really didn't say that, but I thought it!

"Another woman asked, "Do you want to exchange it for some Godiva chocolate? A woman wants to trade it for something else or do you want to refuse it?"

"No," I said, "I don't eat candy or sweets. I guess I'll donated it or give it away."

I walked back to my table and we laughed at my luck.

When the raffle ended, one of the women came over to my table and offered me a trade for my basket of children's toys. She said the person who won the prise she was carrying had left and wouldn't know what she won, so I could trade my basket of toys for what she was carrying. When she told me what it was, I jumped at the chance. That's why I'm smiling so much in this shot.



She told me it was a gift certificate for an over night stay, massage and dinner at a Long Island east end resort worth over $300 with an assortment of treats and wines from Long Island. Nice!!!!

After the raffle, the dancing picked up quite a bit. I guess by now the wine and beer had kicked in which brought out the babes to entertain us.



Okay, I guess babes was a stretch............., but they were women and they were dancing, sort of. ;-)

Soon it was time to go, so we made a pit stop before we left.



On the way home in the car, Lori and I talked about how nice it was of the lady to trade the bucket of wine, goodies and gift certificate for the basket of toys. When we got home we went through the bucket contents.



We read the card that listed my winnings. (Click on the pic to read all I won.)



Tour of the campus? WTF was that? We headed to the computer to look up the web site for Peconic Landing. Here's the description they posted.

A fresh sea breeze, the sound of rolling surf, a sweeping view of Long sland Sound. It’s the perfect setting for a morning walk. Follow it with fresh-brewed coffee and breakfast with friends, and you’re starting another great day at Peconic Landing.

Sounded like a really nice place and we were looking forward to going, until we read this.

Located in Greenport,Long Island, Peconic Landing is a lifecare retirement community where each day residents are given the opportunity — and time — to explore life’s passions.

HOLY CRAP!!! It's a fucking retirement community!!! Now I know why the lady gave this to me, she thinks I look old enough to be in a retirement home. :-(

I'M ONLY 58, I JUST LOOK OLD!!!!! MUST HAVE BEEN MY WHITE HAIR THAT FOOLED HER! :-(

That's okay lady! We're still going there to take advantage of the free food, manicure and massage. So there! :-P

8 comments:

Shumpy said...

see you could be walking around lucky and not even know it. Congrats on bagging some bed n'booze goodies. I know you and L will have fun.

lime said...

lol, well....free is free. so yeah enjoy the massages etc....

CozyMama said...

very cool. looked fun. how are ya. my friend?

Monogram Queen said...

Oh i'm sure she didn't mean any disprespect by it and the other things are more usable than the kids toys would have been to you so... I can't help it i'm finding this incredibly funny! Only you, Tony, only you!

jillie said...

OMG....that is funny. But hey at least you're going to get something out of it. Godiva chocolate? YOU REFUSED THAT??? Oh Tony Tony Tony...what I am ever going to do with you???

Libby said...

how funny, tony! i think that means your officially an old fart!!

Crabby said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA! I mean, awwww. LOL!

Yanno, Ellie has some denture cream in her cabinet. I know the SIL wanted everything to stay in the family but...I could probably sneak that out to you. The laxative suppositories are gone already, of course. I felt, the SIL really needed those worse than anybody.

barman said...

It has to be the hair. You ARE NOT OLD! Just be careful this is not some sort of cult thing and once you get there they will not let you go.

I have never been to a vineyard. That really looks cool. I so love the pig roast and all that goes with it. That would be wonderful. As to the replacement prize, hey free is free. Enjoy the visit and just nod your head when they try and talk you into something. This just has to be like one of those time share things.

Oh I forgot, the Tag Sale sounded wonderful also. a new tri-pod for $5.00. Now I know who to see if I need to borrow a chain saw.